Is Egypt's history repeating itself?

24 Jul 2013

Two and a half years ago the people collectively ousted a dictator that had held Egypt with an iron grasp for three decades. It was a truly momentous moment when the people realised that governments should fear them and not the other way around. 

The hysteria created by one fruit seller setting himself alight out of oppression would go on to spread across the entire of North Africa and later spill into the Middle east. Violent uprisings would be kindled, tensions reignited, blood would be shed.

 

The Egyptian uprising lasted eighteen days from the 25th January to the 11th February; in comparison with the Libyan revolution that lasted 9 months. This too pales in comparison with the Syrian uprising, lasting in excess of 2 years with 100,200 to 120,000 casualties. Egypt achieved democracy a great deal easier than its neighbours.

Great, what is bewildering is the further ousting of the first democratically elected president in 30 years in what can only be described as a military coup. How can a people ask for a democracy if they do not respect the very principles it is based upon? Morsi won by a majority vote of 51.7%, of course I could give more statistics to support the fact that Morsi had the majority but I think the previous one will more than suffice. Only 51% of Egyptians turned out, so perhaps the remaining 49% are or are not in favour of the government. Regardless, they didn’t vote. What has occurred in Egypt is a violation of the rights of the majority of Egyptians who voted Morsi in.

Hosni Mubarak is a former air force commander, one that only came to power through the assassination of the acting president in 1981; he was vice at the time. What is certain is that this is not the first time the military has had more than their fair share of involvement in politics in Egypt. The fact that Morsi was the first civilian president (not in the army) is tribute to the true tyranny the military run behind the scenes. They even went far enough to assist Tamarod, an activist group that sparked protests by the millions on June 30. Did you know the military toppled the Egyptian monarchy in 1952? Though they claim to be liberators of people, representing the people, history would suggest that the elite few in the military are more than keen to hold their place at the top of society and will do anything to silence any other authority.

As of the 16th June 2013 a new cabinet has been sworn in, no Islamists are present. Surely this can’t be an accurate representation of the people; out of those 51.7% not a single Islamist is there to represent their interests. What’s more is the fact that Islamists are being detained, an example is Mohammed Wahden, a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, detained for 2 days in a 3 metre squared cell with 24 other men.

Egypt is experiencing a hostile takeover, military men with arms and loyal soldiers either get what they want or get what they want.


By Yassine Benlamkadem

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Want to respond? Submit an article.

SUPPORT BACKBENCH

We provide a space for reasoned arguments and constructive disagreements.

Help to improve the quality of political debate – support our work today.