Ritual sentimentality is a common feature of New Year’s Eve. Reflecting upon 2016, it is clear the world has witnessed major political fluctuations that have shaken politics to its core.
Polls underestimated the power of reactionary politics, and populism proved its power. Many were taken by surprise at Trump's election victory and the Brexit vote, whilst the emergence of the alt-right could offer yet more surprises next year. With such topics in mind, here are 16 of our best articles from this year.
1. Jeremy Corbyn: Paranoia and power
2. A tribute to Jo Cox
3. Russia, Iran and Turkey: the new power troika
4. Our super nerdy political guide to Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who
5. On Donald Trump
6. We asked: 'Is Britain First in terminal decline?'
7. Postmodern populism: why we must learn to tread carefully in the online world
8. A nation divided
9. Why did Colombia vote against a peace deal?
10. Trump supporters in Philadelphia explain their politics
11. IDS - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
12. The SNP's success is nothing to do with nationalism
13. For Austria's far-right, the surge has only just begun
14. Are we really going to 'take back control'?
15. Victory for the SNP censors
16. 2016 was the year of political mistruths