With 2016 came the shock Brexit vote, Trump victory, and rise of the alt-right. We all hoped 2017 would be kinder. Alas, in the past twelve months, the orange loon entered the White House with a renewed vigour to shake-up global politics, Theresa May scored an own goal in announcing a snap general election, and still no one is quite sure what Brexit should entail. But every cloud has a silver lining, and such political turmoil has produced some excellent articles here at Backbench. Here are 17 of our best from this year.
1. There's a reason why sexual harassment is endemic in Westminster
2. The dangerous obsession with trade deals
Sir Vince Cable
3. 'Twas the night before Brexit
4. Patriotism is solidarity - the left need not fear it
5. Seventy years since independence: Has the India-Pakistan partition really worked?
6. The Napoleon Complex
7. Who murdered Berta Cáceres?
8. Meeting Ted Malloch: Donald Trump's presumptive EU ambassador
9. No Prime Minister: Why democracy is overrated, if left to politicians
10. Beware the stupid cult of Jacob Rees-Mogg
11. Backbench Interviews: John Curtice
12. For the very poorest, education is no longer an emancipator
13. Has feminism been commodified?
14. The importance of defying party politics
15. The West is sleepwalking into a new Cold War
16. David Aaranovitch talks Brexit, fake news and the state of journalism
17. Angela Merkel should resign